Coconutty Black Forest Protein Balls Raw and Vegan
It is my first healthy snack recipe. I grew up in a family where my mum made mouth watering buns and cakes every day, and loads of them. We usually had 4- 5 varieties on offer. I remember my brother used to compete with himself to see how much he could eat, until his belly was so full he had to lie down on the floor. He hasn’t changed much through the years. Someone had to eat all the buns because I couldn’t.
I find the protein balls (not naming the brand) to be everybody’s favourite so fancied making my own, and lots of them. Like mother, like daughter.
The plus side of it, it is more cost effective and they taste better!
Makes 20-30, depending on the size you roll them.
▪ 3/4 cup cashews
▪ 1/4 cup almond flakes
▪ 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
▪ 1 tsp vanilla extract
▪ 2 tb raw virgin coconut oil
▪ 3 tb Sunwarrior chocolate protein powder
▪ 2 tb organic cocoa powder
▪ 3 tb dried sour cherries, chopped
▪ 2 tb raw dessicated coconut flakes
▪ In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the nuts until finely chopped.
▪ Add in the dates, cherries, vanilla, chocolate protein powder, coconut oil and cocoa powder, and pulse until everything is incorporated and the mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
▪ Prepare a plastic ball with the coconut flakes and set aside.
▪ Roll into balls then place the balls into the container and shake through the coconut flakes. Store in the fridge or freezer if you can resist the temptation! I recommend to try a few out before offering it to the guess, would be rude not to!